The Regional Directorate for Primary and Secondary Education of Crete is a decentralized regional administrative agency of the Greek Ministry of Education Research and Religious Affairs. There are thirteen Regional Education Directorates in Greece implementing educational policy and linking local agents to central services and organizations.
Regional Directorates supervise also the Regional Centers of Educational Design.
Their main scopes are :
• implement educational policy
• manage, control, co-ordinate the educational and administrative operation of primary and secondary schools and other educational structures in the region
• responsible for the allocation of human resources
• direct, co-ordinate and monitor school consultants
• responsible for in-service training and teacher development
• conduct educational research
• collaborate with major stakeholders for innovation in the field of education
• organize educational meetings, day events and conferences
The Regional Directorate for Primary and Secondary Education of Crete has expertise in European projects. As the Regional Directorate is responsible for the educational policy, its administrative and educational staff has collaborated for several years with local universities, scientific organizations, local consultants in different educational areas such as training methodologies, production of educational material, confrontation of social problems etc.
The expertise of the staff includes:
• Educational innovation
• Collaboration with local stakeholders
• Advise on methodology
• Co-ordination of pedagogical initiatives
• ICT support
The Regional Directorate of Primary and Secondary Education in Crete is responsible for schools and teachers in the four Regional Units of Crete : Heraklion, Rethimnon, Chania and Lasithi.
It is in charge of 752 Primary, 183 Secondary and 34 Vocational Schools and 89.240 students and 10.502 teachers.
Contact Person: Areti Vouraki, verieta1[at]gmail.com